Skip to main content



Ballet4Lifers-of-the-month of February 

Sticking with the Mother & Daughter theme, we bring you the lovely duo mum Marilyn and daughter Lisarain.

They are always trying their best in our classes, focussing, smiling, working hard, and being delightful to be around. Their deep love and admiration of Classical Ballet certainly shows! We hope to have them on stage together dancing a Traditional Chinese Dance at our next Dance Showcase Fundraiser! 





Together in moments from a Traditional Chinese Dance 



Together in a moment in a Ballet4Life class 

Marilyn's words:

My daughter suggested that I should try ballet in 2017. Through her own experience of learning ballet, it not only brings better physical health, but also enhances mood, especially benefitting the elderly.

Despite enjoying my career as a doctor since graduating from university in the 1960s, even well after retirement, I always loved different forms of arts, and one of my favourites is ballet. I enjoyed watching those elegant dance moves and graceful physique, am also enchanted by the beautiful music, romantic plot and elaborate scenery of ballet, but I never ever dreamed about myself doing ballet, especially when I was already 72 at that time!


Marilyn in our 50+ Ballet class

With my age and zero experience, I was concerned if ballet would be too much a challenge and whether I would be laughed at, but my daughter encouraged me saying that “age is not an issue here, please give it a try”. She brought me to a dance studio in Ealing, and did the class together with me, and stood in front of me as mental support. The teacher was also very patient, often throwing words of encouragement, which gradually improved my confidence. I routinely danced once a week those days. Through this period of basic practice, I started to enjoy learning ballet. In 2018, my daughter discovered Ballet4Life by chance. Their classes encompass a wide range of levels and times that suit different people. What’s better, they even have ballet classes for the 50+ age group. Although I considered myself with virtually zero ballet experience, I also thought I might be the oldest student in the class, but every teacher I learnt from in this school loves his/her teaching. They were all very dedicated and patient, each having a progressive structure with their way of teaching. When the dance studios were closed with the onset of Covid, the school started very soon to offer online classes. I gradually made some progress through these mostly uninterrupted practices and enjoyed learning ballet even more. This also strengthened my confidence and courage to continue my learning.


Ballet pose on holiday!


My daughter always knew that I loved ballet, well before I started learning ballet. Each year she would take me to watch several ballet performances, from the annual Russian Ballet Icons Gala at the London Coliseum to those timeless classical ballets at the Royal Albert Hall. Sometimes we would watch some contemporary ballet shows together at Sadler’s Wells too. Although our favourite is still classical ballet, whether watching or doing it ourselves.

Thanks to Ballet4Life, which made me realise that it’s never too late to pursue your interest or learn a new skill in life.



Top photo: Marilyn performing in  a Traditional Chinese Dance
Bottom photo: Lisarain performing a Traditional Chinese Dance



Lisarain’s words:

I started dancing ballet in my mid -30's for the first time in life, with the initial intention to simply start some routine exercise. I always loved dancing and did some ballroom dancing and performances while in university, but have not pursued much since.


Ballet pose on holiday!


While the early stage of ballet learning involved mainly some basic Barre exercises, I could already feel the tangible benefits it brought me, not only physically, but it made me happier. With hindsight, I think one plausible reason could be that ballet made me switch off from my work and focus on something different. I was in management consulting those years, which involved long hours and limited physical moves, other than flying. So those Barre exercises offered me something different and refreshing.


Lisarain in a Ballet4Life class

However, my Barre practice had not progressed to dance moves as I wished for, as after a couple of years at progressive yet still beginner’s levels, I was relocated to Singapore for one year for work. I managed to find a nearby studio offering adult ballet, but all it taught was Barre exercises again! While I found it less inspiring, I continued the once-a-week routine hoping to strengthen my basic ballet techniques if nothing else. After my one-year stint in Singapore, I was relocated to Copenhagen (against my wish to return to London).


After a Progressing Ballet Technique ® class


Unfortunately, Copenhagen was not as international as Singapore, and the adult ballet classes I attended twice as a trial were only taught in Danish, which didn’t suit me for the obvious reason. I reluctantly had a break from ballet for nearly 2 years, until a new job brought me back to London. While I continued my ballet learning, it wasn’t until when I joined Ballet4Life in 2018 where I truly learnt to practise choreography for the first time, despite on its beginner’s level. During the lengthy Covid lockdown, Ballet4life started to offer online classes. With more time for myself, I tried to join 2 classes a week, which helped me progress much more quickly. When Ballet4Life reopened its in-person teaching, I decided to brave myself for the general level. While it was initially a challenge, but had I not pushed the boundaries, I would not have been able to join but also enjoy my first ballet charity performance of the Swan Lake last year!


Lisarain posing for photographer Bob Janssen London 2022 Copyright Bob Janssen @bobby.janssen

Top image of February snowdrops and tree is copyright of Ballet4Life.com ® and the images of Lisarain and Marilyn belong to them. No images may be reproduced without prior permission.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e