Skip to main content

END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs

from Donna 

 

Hi everyone,

Remember me?

With my Christmas stocking

I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.

 

"Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023

Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can embrace a beautiful and poignant look back and also a disbelief that 20 years have flown by!

 

Monday morning Ballet Class at RDC Studio 2016- Credit: Simone Ghera / Dancer Inside simone.ghera2

My son was only two when I launched our first pioneering adult Ballet class at the then Chiswick-based headquarters of Rambert Dance Co. He is now at the last year of his Master’s Degree at Imperial College of London, passionately and all-consuming doing his Mechanical Engineering studies, with hopes to be working in world’s top rocketry projects after graduation…bang zoom to the moon!! (and I love being able to say you do have to be a rocket scientist to understand lol!)

Monday Morning Ballet at RDC Studio 2004

Hmmm a little foreshadowing?

Ah, life. So, in my ruminating, I think about the conflict that the topic of Dance brings up and Dance studies and dance as a career and the learning of it. I was saddened to read last week of the potential closure of Dance Degrees in Higher Education here in the UK. In my mind this is a terrible mistake and suffocation of a pathway of development and enrichment for young students (too much to say- saving it for another blog).  

I never felt nor was taught to believe the Dance was for the elite, the wealthy, the privileged- quite the contrary really. Nor was I told that dance is superfluous, silly, insubstantial, not really something you do in life as a profession…The visionary Enid Knapp Botsford-Orcutt, Founder and Director, of the prestigious school where I received my formative training, the Botsford School of Dance, was far too broad- minded, well-educated, intelligent, aware, and curious to impart any kind of elitism upon us. We danced and trained with the finest guest artists, teachers, Ballet Masters and Ballet Mistresses, from all over the world, and from all different backgrounds. I grew up finding that sort of environment quite normal. Fast forwarding decades later after a full career as a professional dancer then shifting to roles of Rehearsal Director, Assistant-to the Director, Company Teacher, Guest Teacher, Choreographer, eventually wanting to finally become MY OWN BOSS- to digest and to decipher my life- long Dance experiences and knowledge gained from such stars - artists extraordinaire, the concept of Ballet4Life was born. The pathway and trajectory all makes sense now -in hindsight!

 


 
Botsford School, Rochester, NY

I love what I do – every day! I know that this is a real blessing and gift and it is not taken for granted (nor for granite - which is what I thought this adage was when I was a child). I do love this art form of Dance; sharing it, giving it, teaching it, facilitating and providing it. I love a sense of community, of helping all to feel welcome. The door is always open. The comments and feedback are given with a positive approach, and nurturing and encouragement is what we are rather good at, apparently!


Chris' group piece at the May Showcase

Angel Cloud

We happily facilitate change in people’s well-being. I have witnessed this gladly over the 20 years and I hope for many more opportunities to do this.



Thank you if you have been a small or large part of our history and I hope that you can help to create the next dance epics with us.


Look back at this past year

Ioanna and Savvas had their beautiful baby boy Fievos and we had the joy to see them on Saturday 16 December at our Social for MiW

We had a delightful Studio Showing on 9 December and it was so inspiring to see everyone dancing so well and for cross connections and introductions to happen. Well done all! Well done teachers!

 
9 December Studio Showing


We welcomed Johanna Van Salmuth and Kristin Leal to our roster of fabulous teachers. We bid a fond farewell and bestowed Mark Kelly with gifts, our thanks, and best wishes for his future endeavours.

Discussing Mark's different hair styles of the last 8 years

We had a really successful May fundraiser showcase at Watermans Art Centre- nearly sold out again and there was some stellar performing and dancing.

14 May- Watermans Arts Centre

Additional strong performances were given at the June Bedford Park Festival. Random audience members came up to me to express their pleasure and joy at seeing some old favourite Classical Ballet pieces.

BPF 2023

I was encouraged by some B4l friends to apply to Artists at Home, I did so with trepidation, I was accepted and had my first open studio weekend and will do so again this June! All are welcome to come and visit. https://www.artistsathome.co.uk/artist/266/donna-schoenherr 

We are Finalists in the One Dance UK Awards 2023-People's Choice Award! ( thank you to you people!) The big Awards event is 10 February in Coventry. 



I wrap up by wishing everyone a very Happy Festive Season and all good wishes for a Dance - filled 2024!!!

Donna x


An old Christmas card I made

 

Notices:

We are looking for a part-time administrative helper. Payment could be in lieu of free classes.

We are looking for one new Board of Trustee member or a Volunteer for our related registered charity Move into Wellbeing to do small tasks like leafleting, following up on emails, approaching local small businesses and GP practices.

A Recent Watercolour 

To look forward to:

A Dance Celebration event - a loving salute to our dear friend Katharine

Ballet4lifer -of-the-month feature to return

Special 20th Anniversary offers and fun quizzes/competitions

Swap of  Saturday Arts Ed classes over to the large airy at Studio St Peter's Hall

"Open Studio" Day 

Spring term starts 8 January

Saturday 12.30pm Taster Classes in Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet

Thursday fortnightly Contemporary Dance class with Beatrice 12.15pm  

Sunday Series- one special class each month at 11am at Arts Ed- Studio 212.First one: 21 January is Ukrainian Folk Dance with Alina Luts. Next up 25 Feb is a combo of Ballet, Contemporary Dance and Somatics with Kristin Leal

And, as always, there is more to come……


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr