Skip to main content

Ballet4Lifer of the Month- August!!





We just adore learning more about our Ballet4Lifers! Ann-Marie had a few surprises up her sleeve. Thanks for participating Ann-Marie and keep dancing!  

Ann-Marie Ingram


As a baby

The first dance class I did, aged 6 or 7, was tap and gymnastics. I went with other children from my

street. I did not do it for long as I liked tap but not gymnastics. We had to do somersaults over a

horse which I found difficult and scary. I have slight poor coordination. This is inherited but I was

unaware until much later.

In my twenties and thirties, I would meet a friend to do modern dance classes around the Covent

Garden area. I remember a studio in Floral Street we especially liked. I loved the challenge of

learning new steps though not always able to do them. I felt I could really dance.


A lovely photo portrait of Ann-Marie

Sometime later, a friend asked if I would go to a ballet class with her. I was very surprised there was

a class for adults with no ballet experience. It was a big class with a long bar so I hid in the middle

and hoped no one would notice that I didn’t know what to do. I did become more confident and

started to really enjoy it but sadly the class moved away too far for me to go.



As a young art student

I had always enjoyed drawing, so I started working part time and did art classes two days a week. I

then did a Fine Art degree at Central St. Martins which I absolutely loved but took all my time so no

dancing for a few years.







Two lovely paintings by Ann-Marie

In 2006 my partner Eddie and I moved to Brighton. After spending some time decorating the flat, I

looked for a ballet class. I found one with a very nice teacher called Charlie. The class was for all ages

and abilities. Sometimes professional dancers would take the class if they were working in Brighton.

This was most inspiring and made us all work harder.

In 2014 we moved back to London, to Brentford. I found Ballet4Life online and thought the 50+ class

with Donna would be perfect for me. I started in January 2015 and found it just right and everyone

very friendly. 



Ann- Marie in our 50+ Ballet class

Apart from a few breaks for health reasons I have doing this class ever since and have

made some really good friends. I also did some classes with Beatrice and really loved being in the

showcase at Watermans Theatre in 2019.


Performing in our Showcase in 2019.

The last ballet I saw was for my birthday in 2018. I went with my son to see the St. Petersburg Ballet

Company perform Swan Lake at the Coliseum. My son had never seen a ballet before but was most

impressed by the jumps and leaps of the male dancers. It was a wonderful performance with many

of the dancers training at the Bolshoi.



Rehearsing Signatures- a piece created by Donna for the Bedford Park Festival 2016 




Performing Signatures at the BPF 2016

Unfortunately, last year I had an accident and broke a few bones. I had three limbs in plaster casts so

was unable to move around for a while. I watched a lot of you tube videos and especially ballet.

There are so many ballet videos to watch. I particularly love the Paris Opera company.

Earlier this year I saw a performance at the Swan Theatre in High Wycombe. I watched my

granddaughter and lots of other girls and two or three boys doing ballet, tap and modern dance. It

was all so good and they had beautiful costumes. The very little ones were so sweet.

After my accident I was not sure I would ever be able to do ballet again but last September I started

back at the Saturday morning class at Arts Ed with Jo or Mark. I was a bit stiff at first but so happy I

could do this and to feel I was getting back to normal.

Now I am back to doing Donna’s Tuesday morning class. After Covid and my accident my body is not

as it was in 2019 but I feel I am nearly there. 



Back in our 50+ Ballet with Donna 

Ballet barre work helps to improve my balance and

posture but for me the most important thing is to be graceful. I love it when we are in the middle

and move across the floor. In my head I am a beautiful swan on the stage at Covent Garden. Maybe

in another life.










Images Copyright of Ann-Marie Ingram and of Ballet4Life 2022. No reproductions may be made without prior permission. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e