Skip to main content

 Ballet4Lifer of the Month- June





Jubilee June, Start of Summer, Longest Day and London is all buzzing and glowing!

We welcome Monique Calmon Grinstein who hails from Brazil and has brought her brawn and brains over to Ballet4Life. Monique is a dedicated, hard-working, analytical dancer who really enjoys the challenges that our Ballet4life classes can deliver. Her rate of improvement is fast and it will be fun to see how much she can absorb and transform and implement into her technique.


Monique in our Class with Special Guest Yosvani Ramos 




Piqué away Monique! 

Hi! I am Monique, 28 years old, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I arrived in the UK in August last year with my husband. We have been married for a bit over one year and currently live in Chiswick (at walking distance from Ballet4Life studios!).

I started dancing around 12, mostly taking jazz classes. At 15 I decided to finally try ballet, although I had a lot of insecurities about having already “missed my chance”. At that point in Rio, there were no “young adult / adult” beginner ballet classes. My only option was to start with the 8- year- olds, who were very much curious to understand what I was doing there and not with the advanced girls who were my age.

I was really glad to find myself, slowly but surely, progressing. I found ballet to be the perfect balance between rational execution and creative expression, which I really identified with (specially being an Engineer). Over the years, with studies, work and personal situations presenting themselves, I had to often take a long class break - sometimes over a year - but would always try to come back to classes as soon as I could.


In rehearsal for our recent Showcase

A little bit more about myself: I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and a M.Eng. in System Integration. I was in Brazil during the pandemic and saw closely how devastating it was for our country. I was one of the privileged few who, thanks to having a job in Tech, was able to maintain it and work from home. My family was also safe and healthy, and I am so very grateful for that. During Covid, I mostly did not partake in ballet classes (I am terrible at keeping up with Zoom classes, need the in-person vibe to stay motivated). When our country started allowing sports activities, I was able to go back to the ballet studio I was enrolled at, but shortly after my husband was accepted for a PhD position at Imperial College and we moved to the UK. Since January, I have been working as a Software Developer at Accenture UK.

I started with Ballet4Life as soon as I was out of the hotel quarantine and settled in Chiswick. It was a breath of fresh air and one of the first activities I got involved with in the neighborhood. I was glad to discover intermediate and advanced classes for adults, as well as Pointe classes, which I had always struggled with finding, or keeping, as oftentimes I would join a class that would be terminated due to lack of quorum. I found Pointe work to be scary at first, but with resilience and commitment, it was highly rewarding. It is a whole new layer of ballet on top of ballet, like a world of new dance discoveries.

Another rehearsal shot


I am really happy where I am right now in my ballet level. I have fully embraced the mindset of doing this for myself and enjoying the process, so I compare myself much less and focus on learning and experiencing the dance. I have been rather disciplined in attending classes and it has paid off. Also, Bea’s and Jo’s classes are absolutely amazing, it’s always a joy to attend. Next, I have a dream of one day doing a Pas de Deux, so hopefully we can have one such class or workshop at Ballet4Life someday!

For someone wishing to start dance training as an adult, I would recommend focusing on the foundations and getting the foot/leg basics right before trying to synchronize more complex arm positions or sequences. Also, training your ears to the music and being aware of tempo will be of great help in the long run. Last but not least, be bold on centre exercises  and travels, it’s the time to explore movement and get creative. Don’t stop in the middle if you made a mistake, just keep going or try again. That’s how you get there!

Thank you Monique! Have a lovely month everyone.

More images to come- just need to sort out something. Please check back later.

Images: Copyright Ballet4Life, and copyright Monique. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e