Skip to main content

Ballet4Lifer of the Month- May



We warmly welcome Serenella to our Ballet4Life group of friends and dancers. She is relatively new to B4l and I only just got to meet her last week. I was so impressed by her dedication, focus, level of effort and energy exhibited, her tirelessness, and her ability to jump right in, so to speak, at class and at the Repertory part of class! Well done!
provaci! fallo!

Photos: Serenella, 3rd from the left,  with her B4L dancing friends, in classes and rehearsing "The Little Swans"


When did you start dancing?

I started taking Jazz lessons at the age of 8 and then started ballet at 9. However, if creating choreography with your best friend and performing in front of your family counts, I have been doing that since I was 4!


What makes dancing so special to you? 

Dancing allows me to express myself, forget all of the problems and stress of life and fills me with calmness and joy.


When did you start with Ballet4Life? 

Around 6 months ago

X marks the spot

What makes B4l so special for you? 

B4l has given me the opportunity to go back to what I love the most, without the stress of thinking I am not good enough or too old, and completely free of judgement. I feel free and encouraged to dance with the body I have today, without feeling less of a dancer because my splits are not as good as they used to be, or my jumps are not as high. And everyone, from teacher to student, is super nice and friendly!


Do you get to see dance performances regularly? 

If yes, any favourite companies, dancers, performances you have seen recently? I try to see a couple of shows per year. My favourite is “Swan Lake,” but I also have a special place in my heart for “The Nutcracker,” as I performed it for a showcase when I was a teenager with my dance school in Italy. 


What do your ballet classes do for you? 

On top of helping with my overall fitness level, they are just the best anti -stress and always put a huge smile on my face.


Do you have a favourite Ballet4Life class? 

I like them all. If I feel the need to destress and relax, Chris is the right teacher. He has a calming power and his classes always make me forget about a bad day. While Jo has a contagious energy and it's impossible not to feel energised by her and her classes!

After Jo's Wednesday class 


Is there any dance style you wish to study but we do not offer presently? 

Jazz


What do/did you do for your “day job?” and/or what were you educated/trained to do as a profession?

I am a National Account Manager  however I studied Classics at Uni and will be doing a Master in classics in September. 


Do you have any tips for someone wishing to start dance training as an adult? 

Just go for it, you won't regret it!


Do you have a favourite part of class/ ballet step you love?

I love barre and wish it lasted a full hour! I really connect with myself during barre and plies are my favourite thing. However  if I had to choose one favourite step, it would be assemblè a la second


If you do our Pointe Work classes, do you have anything to share about your experience? 

I recently started pointe with Jo, and I absolutely love it. It has filled me with confidence, as I have tried pointe work in the past, but was never able to actually do it. 


Anything else you would like to add, please feel free to do so.

Starting to dance again at the age of 29  after more than 10 years break, has made me feel invincible. We should all learn to work with our bodies and thank them for what they allow us to do, rather than be upset at what we can't do as well as we would like.





Beautifully stated Serenella, and many thanks for participating. We look forward to seeing you dance with us all on 29 May at 2pm at Watermans Theatre!






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e