Skip to main content

 Ballet4Lifer of the Month of March!

(Which also means that Spring is around the corner!!) 




Camille Lagrange aka "Cami"

Cami has always brought a positive outlook to the studios and to her training online. She is very upbeat, strong, focused, works very hard and also brings a bit of brevity and humour to the groups and classes. Her kitten Nairobi, now cat, entertained us for many months during lockdown as we witnessed him trying to do Ballet steps, attack Cami's feet as she executed Ballet steps at the Barre, and/or listened and watched the B4l teachers very intensively online.  

................and here is Nairobi- Feline Ballet Aficionado!





When did you start dancing?

I started dancing around age 4 and kept doing it throughout my childhood and teenage years. I stopped for a few years when I started working and picked it up again about 5 years ago.

 


Cami training at around age 9

Her (incomplete) collection of Danse! books, a French series about a girl named Nina who dreams about becoming Danseuse Étoile de l'Opéra de Paris. She was obsessed with these books growing up.


Cami's collection of costumes. She used to perform every year, and the group worked on customising all of their costumes themselves, so she had to learn how to sew pretty fast!


What makes dancing so special to you?

I love the familiarity of class – you could join a Ballet class anywhere in the world and be able to follow since the pattern is always the same. It’s so rewarding to watch professional classes and understand what’s going on, even if I wouldn’t be able to perform at the same level. I’ve always loved ballet, and particularly the “behind the scene” part of it, and have always enjoyed class more than performances, even to watch. Dance is one of the few acts that is as much an art as a sport, and it takes so much work to make it look easy.


When did you start with Ballet4Life?

I started in 2016 with Clarissa Rocha, joining a Beginners class to test my level since I hadn’t danced in a few years.


What makes B4l so special for you?

All teachers are lovely and have their own styles, which allows so much variety across all classes. They’re all very attentive and kind, and will always help each of us progress at our own pace. There’s no judgement or pressure, and everyone is always having a good time. I love that you offer different class levels, and I enjoy an Intermediate level class as much as an Improvers one, since there’s always something in our technique that needs work, at all levels.

 

Do you get to see dance performances regularly? If yes, any favourite companies, dancers, performances you have seen recently?

I try to go several times a year, and I usually really enjoy performances by the English National Ballet. Their version of Swan Lake at the Royal Albert Hall, dancing on a stage that was double the normal size, and therefore with double the number of dancers, was so impressive. I went to see their Solstice show last summer and had an amazing time. I also always try to go see shows by the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre and love everything they do. I’d say my favourite dancer is Marianela Núñez from the Royal Ballet – her technique is absolutely perfect and she has such an amazing stage presence.

 

What do your ballet classes do for you?

They ground me. I’m always running from one thing to the next in my daily life, and I feel like walking into a Ballet class allows me to take a break from this. They’re also very humbling as I’m constantly reminded of all the work that’s needed for very small improvements. And there’s nothing that matches the feeling of nailing a perfect turn.

Do you have a favourite Ballet4Life class?

No! they’re all so different it’s impossible to choose a favourite. I love going to Jo’s general level classes as she always comes up with different barre exercises and makes us work our brains as much as our legs. I also love going to any of Chris’s classes, who’s such a kind and patient teacher. And I love Beatrice’s intermediate classes and feel like they’re helping me progress a lot, since I’m trying to follow along a much higher level. I also always love Mark’s classes, who’s helping me find the musicality in my dancing, and feel less rigid.




Cami at Arts Ed in a Ballet4life class with Chris 

Is there any dance style you wish to study but we do not offer presently?

I’d love to see tap classes! I did it as a kid and took a few classes in the last couple years and had so much fun.

What do/did you do for your “day job?” and/or what were you educated/trained to do as a profession?

I work in marketing in the toys/video games industry and I studied marketing and business at university.

 

Do you have any tips for someone wishing to start dance training as an adult?

Do it! It’s so much fun at every single step of the way. It’s great at the beginning, to discover a whole new world, and then it becomes even better once you start seeing progress. Find a Beginners class somewhere to learn the basics, and then you’ll be able to join classes anywhere.

 

Showing of her skills on the slope!

Do you have a favourite part of class/ ballet step you love?

I love Barre, and how we always ease into moving. Many other sports will make you start with cardio but I love ballet so much because it makes you progress towards cardio with jumping. I also love turning and travelling.

 

How has Covid-19 changed the way you have dance in your life?

It’s been harder to go to classes since they’re close to my office and I’ve been mostly working from home. It was such a blessing to have zoom classes during lockdown, I was taking classes almost every day. It was my only physical activity for months, and sometimes a massive part of my social life as well. Thank you so much for putting this into place and allowing us to continue dancing, because it helped keep me sane during such a weird time. It’s also made me appreciate going back to the studio so much more since it was always a challenge to find the space to practice at home! Although my kitten had a great time chasing my feet around the room the whole time, and she loved watching the teachers on the TV screen.

 


Ah, those many months of classes online!

Anything else you would like to add, please feel free to do so.

Thank you so much for putting so much work into Ballet4Life and offering such great classes. It’s very clear that everyone on the team is passionate not only about ballet, but also about teaching and sharing this passion – which makes everything so much better. THANKS A MILLION!


Thank you, Camille. It is indeed a true pleasure to have you at Ballet4Life! 



Images of Camille belong to her and may not be copied without permission.

Other images copyright of Ballet4Life. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e