Skip to main content

 

Ballet4Lifer of the Month- January 20-Tutu !!!

Christine Casimir

Happy New Year all!!


We welcome Christine to the Ballet4Life stage to share her beautiful story and thoughts with us as we embark on a new year with renewed hope and vision.
We have danced with Christine the last years in both Ballet4life and Move into Wellbeing ® classes, we have taught her privately at her home, enjoyed many Tea & Coffee Socials with her, visited her wonderful garden, received her gorgeous hand knit gifts, and enjoyed her calm and clever nature.



Christine with her mum circa 1953 at the Battersea Fun Fair





Hello, my name is Christine Casimir, I am 71 years old, I live in Chiswick with my husband of 50 years, and we have a grown-up son who lives in California with his wife and 4 year old daughter. I also have Parkinson’s, a neurological condition for which there is no cure, but more of that later.






Christine in various B4l and MiW classes

In 50+ Ballet Class

I have always loved dancing and watched the ballet on the TV whilst dreaming of being a Prima Ballerina like Dame Margot Fonteyn. I’m told that I went to the street party held to celebrate the Queen’s Coronation dressed as the Fairy on the Christmas Tree, complete with magic wand and a pink tutu (the latter apparently made by my mother from an old swimsuit and some pink net). Sadly, I am unable to verify this as there is no photographic evidence, nor do I have any memory of it, since I was only 4 years old.     That was as far as my dancing went, however, for my parents couldn’t afford dance classes for me or my sister.  I know it seems strange to people now, but that’s how it was in the 1950’s – there were so many like us that we just got on with it, not that we had much choice. And it might have remained like that had I not met Donna and Beatrice at the Move into Wellbeing ® classes for people with Parkinson’s. We were having coffee after a class and I was listening to them talking about the Ballet4Life classes, when suddenly I blurted out the story of my shattered childhood dreams, and Donna said why didn’t I come along to one of her classes, adding that I’d be most welcome, and I wouldn’t feel odd as there were people of all ages there.   I doubt you can imagine the overwhelming feeling of happiness I experienced. Anyway, that was 6 or 7 years ago, and I’ve been doing Ballet4Life classes ever since (and loving every minute of them!).

 



Mind you, by no stretch of the imagination could I be described as a good dancer, or even a moderately talented one – Parkinson’s has distorted my body and movements so much – but no one at Ballet4Life has ever commented adversely or judged me, and I have always been encouraged and treated with respect. 

          

Enjoying a MiW gathering

The classes I normally do are for beginners, and I have had a variety of excellent teachers, including Beatrice, Chris and Jo, but my favourite class of all is Donna’s Silver Swans, which was held on a Tuesday morning at 10.30. I love this class because of the people it attracts - all shapes and sizes/ages (particularly the more mature person) - but all very friendly and some very good dancers amongst them. There is a feeling of camaraderie, and we often have a good laugh.

 


However, for nearly 2 years I haven’t attended any classes in person (due, of course, to the Covid 19 Pandemic) but I have enjoyed my Zoom sessions and have done many more classes than before.  In fact, even though my favourite class has recently started again in person, I haven’t yet been along, as I am still rather nervous about exposing myself to the virus.  I fully intend to carry on dancing for as long as I can, so that’s where I am now.    

                   

 



Zooming away!!

 


Here’s to the next 20 years with Ballet4Life!

 Christine Casimir 


 "Yes, indeed!" says Donna, wearing the hand knit scarf Christine made with care and love. 

All images except the childhood photo are copyright of Ballet4Life and may not be reproduced with permission. Thank you for your understanding. 

1st January, 2022

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e