Skip to main content

 

BALLET4LIFER OF THE MONTH – November- Vivian!!

 

Aw, so sweet

I am so happy to introduce our Ballet4lifer Vivian as our featured dancer this month. Vivian attended our daytime Ballet classes pre-COVID as well as our Contemporary Dance classes. She then returned to our Contemporary Dance classes on Saturday with her lovely daughter. She always brings a positive attitude into the studio, is so open and friendly, and the joy of movement is always evident in any exercise she is executing. They have also both performed beautifully in our  fundraising Showcase pre-COVID. 
Take it away Vivian, and thanks for participating!!

 

When did you start dancing?

Like most young children, I loved moving to music from a young age. Just couldn’t keep still when a tune came on, and generally loved flinging myself about the place!  Formal dance training didn’t start until quite late.  Growing up in Malaysia in the 1960's meant ballet or any other dance classes were not freely accessible; plus, being one of five children, my mother had to limit us to one activity each, and I was already well on my way in piano.  Not to mention, my parents wanted to focus my wandering attention firmly on my studies!

 

It was at university that I was able to join a contemporary dance class.  Then, as luck would have it, the local ballet school (there was only one such back then) needed someone to work the lights for their annual show – and as Performing Arts majors, my mates and I were roped in to help. I asked the ballet teacher to give me some free lessons in return and so at the ripe old age of 18, I started my lifelong love affair with ballet.

 

Vivian in a production at University

 

What makes dancing so special to you?

Dance surely must be one of humankind’s most natural activities – whose feet doesn’t tap when a beat comes on?  Whilst I love just moving to music; it is the formality of ballet that attracts me.  At the start of class, when I am at the barre and the music begins I have this strong sense of participating in a centuries-old tradition.  I appreciate the discipline ballet demands, not just for the dance form, but by extension, as a blueprint for life.

When did you start with Ballet4Life?

Oddly, despite living so near to St Peter’s church I didn’t really discover Ballet4Life till around 2018!!  It was when I popped into the church for an evening of Argentine tango music (plus free taster class) that I saw the banner and flyers!

 What makes B4l so special for you?

Its proximity to my home!!!

Seriously, it’s the people – all the teachers are lovely, very friendly, helpful, and wonderful at imparting their knowledge – and Donna’s flexibility.  Best of all, it’s so much a part of this Chiswick community and the neighbourhood I live in. 

 


 Working hard in Ballet4Life Contemporary Dance class


Do you get to see dance performances regularly? If yes, any favourite companies, dancers, performances you have seen recently?

I would like to see more than I currently do!!  But yes, whenever time and resources allow, I make it a point to catch as many as I can – my treats are always the ballet around Christmas time and have also enjoyed Pina Bausch (just before lock down in 2020), Ballroom/Latin “Burn the Floor” and Tap Dogs.  I also enjoy smaller, intimate local shows such as the Arts Ed student shows and Anita de Maltesa’s flamenco at George IV recently – not least because she is a Chiswick girl born and bred!  Needless to say I thoroughly enjoy ALL amateur shows put up by local dance schools!!

What do your ballet classes do for you?

They keep me alive!  Apart from the physical benefits of keeping fit and supple, the mental challenge to the brain and the social camaraderie amongst the regulars, dance classes are the “hyacinths that feed my soul”.

 

In rehearsal for the Showcase 2019.

Do you have a favourite Ballet4Life class?

Yes – the contemporary class on Saturdays 12:30!! I attend it with my daughter, and we have such a great time – I end up sweating and feeling ready to take on that pint in the pub!

Is there any dance style you wish to study but we do not offer presently?
I would happily try anything Ballet4life offers, if it fits my schedule!  I would love some flamenco – I have missed my flamenco after my teacher Rosario retired.

What do/did you do for your “day job?” and/or what were you educated/trained to do as a profession?

I do graphic production for a publishing company, and have done many different things in the past.  I majored in performing arts at university but sadly Malaysia in the 1980’s did not offer many employment opportunities in this field.  Of all the work I have ever done, the ones I remember most fondly are my moonlighting jobs as a dance extra!!

Do you have any tips for someone wishing to start dance training as an adult?

Yes - JUST DO IT!  1. Find a reputable class/teacher 2. Start slow if you’re not already physically fit 3. Do some theoretical research into the dance form – it boosts depth of understanding no end 4. Leave your fears, insecurities, anxieties, self-consciousness firmly at the door!

 

Vivian with her dancing pals at the Showcase 2019

Do you have a favourite part of class/ ballet step you love?

I LIVE for Grand Allegro!!!!!!  As for steps – love them all.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts!

 

In Ballet class

How has Covid-19 changed the way you have dance in your life?

It has put a spanner in the works!  Lockdown and not being able to attend dance class have been frustrating and really bad in that my joints and muscles pretty much seized up.  Unfortunately my home is not conducive to Zoom dance classes.  There is NO SUBSTITUTE for in person dance classes!!

 

Anything else you would like to add, please feel free to do so.

“On with the dance!! Let joy be unconfined!”

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e