Skip to main content

Ballet4Lifer of the Month- August 2021

We welcome Eve Kells as our Ballet4Lifer of this month. Eve has a very curious and open mind and her questions and thought processes in our classes always intrigue and stimulate. It is our joy and privilege that this graceful and gracious person found us. We look forward to many more classes together. Thank you, Eve, and sorry we have only this one present day photos of you in our classes to share! 



When did you start dancing?

 

I started ballet classes when I was 12 years old. I soon realised that this was late by traditional standards, but can recall making up dance routines long before that, to the tune of Atomic Kitten and others! I was a true noughties child who pleaded with Santa for a dance mat (which I still remember fondly). This was part of a craze of dance games which swept amusement arcades at the time, which saw people imitating an avatar by timing the movement of their feet to a series of arrows on a screen. I’m not sure that counts as ‘dancing’, but it was great fun all the same! I come from a big family and was inspired to start ballet classes after hearing that my brother’s wife-to-be, whom my sisters and I idolised at the time, used to do dance when she was young.

 


What makes dancing so special to you?

 

Dancing is the one thing in my life that makes me truly appreciate my body. That probably sounds strange, but I always liked reading as a child and performed well academically because I enjoyed the experience of going to school. I loved learning (still do) and although I played a bit of netball and badminton, I was recognised more for my intellect than my physical prowess. That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy sport; I suppose I just didn’t identify as ‘sporty’ and didn’t regularly engage in team sports outside of school. So now when I reflect on why I enjoy dancing, I can’t help but think it is the physicality that appeals to me as much as the artistry of it. In effect, dancing is transportive for me; it provides a rare opportunity to get out of my head and into my body, channelling any mental chatter into coordinated (or sometimes not so coordinated!) movement.

 

When did you start with Ballet4Life?

 

A few years ago, I discovered Ballet4Life completely by chance. It was in the aftermath of an unexpected bereavement, when I was deliberating over whether to stay in London or relocate home to Ireland to live with my family. My parents – who are never short of good advice – suggested holding off on any major decisions for up to 12 months, as then I would have time to adjust and make a more objective decision. During that time, one of my sisters bought me a gift card for ballet classes and that was how I found out about Ballet4Life. My first ever B4L class was Beginner Follow-On with Chris and since then I have been taking more General level classes with Jo and Mark as well as Intermediate/Advanced drop-in classes with Beatrice. I also started contemporary class with B4L, which I love, and did Alina’s character class on Zoom, which I would love to get back to at some stage.

 

What makes B4l so special for you?

 

For me, what is so distinctive about B4L is the teaching style and community ethos. As a late beginner to ballet and someone who is not a particularly tactile or kinaesthetic learner, I previously struggled to find dance classes at the right level. Other schools offered classes that were either far too advanced for me or just too basic for someone with a good few years of dance training (who considered it, in the words of my first ballet teacher, a ‘serious hobby’). Schools offering ballet classes that are sufficiently challenging but conducted in a supportive and friendly manner are surprisingly hard to come by! With that, I can honestly say that the B4L teachers are one of a kind. They are all wonderful teachers in their own right, with unique and distinctive personalities, but have come together under Donna to create such a positive learning environment for dancers of all abilities. At first, I worried a lot about struggling to remember an exercise or being slow to pick up choreography, but the more classes I have attended, the more I have felt my confidence grow and my passion deepen. With that has come the confidence to get to know other ‘regulars’ in the classes, which has increased my enjoyment tenfold. Confidence was critical for me, as I had a start-stop relationship with ballet between the ages of 18 – 26 following the sudden and untimely passing of my first teacher. There was a point in time when I feared that going back to ballet would only make me grieve Miss Fiona all over again, but what I found at B4L is that the teachers actually share a lot of the traits which I so admired in her. This includes the ability to explain a movement through relatable, every day imagery (the example which immediately springs to mind is that of a ‘gooey’ plié being like a moist sandwich...) and the helpful tendency to sing the beats or steps of an exercise over the music so as to keep the dancers moving in time. From a purely practical perspective, I also love the ‘drop-in’ format of B4L classes since I like to learn from different teachers, plus travelling between England and Ireland means I can’t always commit upfront to attend an entire term’s classes. I always miss it when I’m away, although it's great to be able to do the Zoom classes from Ireland now.

 

Do you get to see dance performances regularly? If yes, any favourite companies, dancers, performances you have seen recently?

 

Before the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, I signed up to the ‘Dance Pass’ ticket scheme at Sadler’s Wells. This allowed me to see live dance performances with much greater regularity than I could otherwise afford, but doesn’t feel so appropriate at a time when audiences need to support the arts to the greatest extent possible. The Royal Ballet has a special place in my heart because one of their First Soloists, Melissa Hamilton, was trained by my universally-beloved first ballet teacher. I would say I have a soft spot for traditional ballets like Swan Lake and festive favourite The Nutcracker, but generally am drawn towards modern re-imaginings by the likes of Matthew Bourne. If I had to pick a favourite company it would have to be Northern Ballet, primarily on account of their supreme creativity. I just love the emphasis that they put on storytelling as well as classical technique. I went through a phase of eagerly awaiting tickets (hawk-eyed!) for their series of literary productions and, over the course of several years, have had the pleasure of witnessing A Midsummer Night's Dream; Cleopatra; The Great Gatsby, and Jonathan Watkins’ standout interpretation of George Orwell’s 1984. Unlike Orwell’s novel, which conveys the idea of state control through explicit reference to ‘Physical Jerks’, a form of mandatory daily exercise, Watkins’ production has a more insidious, quietly threatening tone. This review captures the brilliance beautifully. As regards specific dancers, I sometimes think there is a tendency for students of ballet to favour the greats, which for me include Anna Pavlova; George Balanchine; Margot Fonteyn, and Rudolf Nureyev (amongst many others!). I also find myself hugely drawn to outliers like Misty Copeland, who started ballet even later than I did, or those who constitute local success stories, like Monica Loughman. My ‘guilty pleasure’ favourite dancer would have to be Maddie Ziegler, from the admittedly painful-to-watch but successful American reality series Dance Moms.

 

What do your ballet classes do for you?

 

In addition to the benefits you might expect, such as muscle definition, improved posture and flexibility, ballet classes afford me the opportunity to connect with like-minded people who share my passion for creative expression. With its unique combination of technical expertise, artistry and musicality, ballet is unlike anything else I do in the week. Regardless of how ‘well’ or ‘badly’ I feel a class has gone, I always leave the B4L studio feeling happy and relaxed.

 

Do you have a favourite Ballet4Life class?

 

It’s impossible to choose! One of the reasons I love Ballet4Life is that every class and teacher is genuinely different, so all deserve to be taken on their own merits. In addition, group dynamics are inevitably influenced by the individuals in attendance, meaning no two classes are ever the same. This term I have particularly enjoyed the Intermediate / Advanced classes and restarting Pointe work, not least because I missed being able to turn and travel from my living room on Zoom.

 

Is there any dance style you wish to study but we do not offer presently?

 

I would love to learn some ballroom dance styles, maybe the Quickstep or Foxtrot. The kind of training that amateur dancers get on TV shows like Strictly Come Dancing is just amazing to me. My boyfriend is nervous about getting his dancing shoes on, but I think I have now convinced him to give it a try. Next stop, Blackpool Tower ballroom!

 

What do/did you do for your “day job?” and/or what were you educated/trained to do as a profession?

 

I currently work as a client service and relationship manager for a law company which was set up to challenge traditional operating models for the delivery of legal services. It is probably best described as a marketplace business which facilitates the provision of services, knowledge and products (in this case, all legal) to a range of corporate clients, including but not limited to banks, law firms, commercial and technology companies. The organisation's ultimate aim is to transform the way in which the business of law has traditionally been conducted, much in the same way that the likes of Uber and Airbnb have impacted the transport and hospitality sectors. The curious thing about my day job is that I don’t actually have a legal background or any formal law training. I originally studied Modern Languages (BA French & Spanish) at St Hilda’s College in Oxford and subsequently worked in a consumer policy team for Amazon.fr and Amazon.es (ask me about this sometime after class – you wouldn’t believe some of the stories!). I then fell into law when one of my sisters referred me for a recruitment coordinator job at another legal consultancy. ​At first there was a fair bit of groundwork for me to do with regards to understanding the industry and its challenges, but now my role is definitely more skills-based than knowledge-based. I tend to spend the working week consulting (and sometimes consoling!) the company’s clients. Once I understand their needs and parameters, I then liaise with the relevant internal teams to craft and deliver an appropriate solution. On any given working day, you will find me dealing with various operational crises (‘putting out fires’, as they say) and always striving to balance the best interests of the company and our clients.

 

 

 

 

Do you have any tips for someone wishing to start dance training as an adult?

 

There are three things I wish someone had told me when I began learning to dance, which I think are relevant regardless of when you start. They are:

1) be curious;

2) be brave, and

3) be patient!

It is only really in the last few years that I have begun to acknowledge and experience the power of a positive outlook when learning a new physical skill and, for me, that mindset has been transformative. It is never too late to learn or start something new, especially when it is for your own enjoyment (I speak from experience on this point, as my parents have both taken up musical instruments – along with a whole host of other creative endeavours – since retiring). What is great about the dance training at B4L is the emphasis on knowing your own facility and capability. You are always supported and encouraged to work within the limits of your own turnout, flexibility, mental agility and more. I would therefore advise anyone starting later in life to give due consideration to how they learn best. Every dance school and style of training is different and some have a much more competitive ethos or one-size-fits-all approach; I personally find that demoralising, but know it may be motivating for others. As I see it, someone who starts dance training as an adult might take a while to get to grips with the technique, but will typically have much greater self-knowledge and a deeper understanding of how their own mind and body operate. When I started dance training as a pre-teen, I don’t think I really felt or understood the actual mechanics of a lot of the movements in ballet; rather, I watched the teacher and watched myself in the mirrors and tried to imitate what I saw. I am still sometimes guilty of that in class, but increasingly have learned to connect the theory to how each movement or exercise actually feels in my body, which takes a lot more maturity.

 

Do you have a favourite part of class/ ballet step you love?

 

I like how momentum builds as you progress through a dance class, so tend to favour jumping or travelling steps, which typically come at the end. That said, each part of class serves an important purpose and, on any given day, I might prefer one sequence of exercises to another. I have a love/hate relationship with turning steps (pirouettes) but was always considered a good jumper when I was younger. I remember going through a phase of feeling very self-conscious about the shape and size of my thighs, which was alleviated by my former teacher declaring I had the perfect legs for beats!

 

How has Covid-19 changed the way you have dance in your life?

 

Prior to the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, I associated dance with being present in a studio, theatre or other performance venue. Even watching dance on TV felt somehow removed, since you lose the full sense of immediacy and physicality which comes with dancing or seeing dancers in the flesh. I was slightly sceptical about the value of online dance classes for this reason, but in fact was pleasantly surprised how much strength and technique I seemed to have retained at home purely through the discipline of putting on my shoes each week to join regular Zoom classes. I still much prefer dancing in the studio, but Covid-19 has given me cause to think about the impact of dance when experienced through different mediums. What inspired and impressed me most about the dance world during the pandemic was the incredible resilience, versatility and creativity of dancers to continuously adapt and push the boundaries of their art.

 

Anything else you would like to add, please feel free to do so.

 

Nothing else to add (I think I’ve probably said more than enough!) except some photos from my formative dance days. Sorry they are a bit blurry – crazy how much cameras have improved in the last decade and a half!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr