Skip to main content

 

BALLET4LIFER OF THE MONTH- JUNE 2021

We welcome Libby Gwyther (Miss E. A. Gwyther MA (Oxon.) PGdip RNCM, we will have you know!)  this month, to share her thoughts and her stories. Not only is Libby an accomplished professional musician, teacher, loving wife and mum of two adorable children, but she is also a really good dancer and all round lovely person.

Libby has sort of grown up with us and if we had one, would win the most adorable photo- as- a- child prize! 

Thanks, Libby!

When did you start dancing?

4 years old with the wonderful Miss Kim at Kimberly Cooper School of Dance, our local ballet school. There were only a few pupils in those days but the school has now grown into Kimberley Performing Arts Centre and is doing amazing work for the whole community.

 

Age 5, before pre-primary exam



Young teen / start of secondary school- ish 


What makes dancing so special to you?

Moving to music! I’ve never been one to sit still for long, but there is something about the combination of movement and music that allows the whole body and mind to feel in sync.

 

When did you start with Ballet4Life?

I think it was 2009 or 2010. We used to have a fantastic general level class on a Monday morning at the old Ballet Rambert studios in Chiswick. I remember feeling so welcomed into the group.

 

Libby in our classes at the former home of Rambert Dance Company. Photos credit: Jennifer Endom

What makes B4l so special for you?

The friendly and supportive atmosphere created by both the marvellous teachers and the fellow attendees - it’s unlike any other adult dance classes I’ve tried in London. This extends beyond the classes too. I have fond memories of being taken for a coffee after a class when a fellow attendee could see I was having a rough week. Such a thoughtful gesture. 😀

 


Do you get to see dance performances regularly? If yes, any favourite companies, dancers, performances you have seen recently?

With a toddler and a baby, I haven’t had much opportunity to visit the theatre recently, but one positive of the pandemic is that there have been some brilliant and varied performances to enjoy online 😊 . I think one of the last performances I saw live was a present from my husband for our honeymoon. It was a mixed bill at the Gran Teatro de La Habana as part of the International Ballet Festival of Havana - what a treat!!

 

What do your ballet classes do for you?

They give me space to free my mind and let my body move. I always feel so much better after a class!

 


Do you have a favourite Ballet4Life class?

I love all of the classes I’ve tried for different reasons. It’s great to have a choice of levels (even within a class) so that I can work with how my body feels on any particular day.

 

Is there any dance style you wish to study but we do not offer presently?

Not really. I used to attend a lovely lyrical jazz class at university and look forward to being able to attend Jo’s Jazz class on a Tuesday evening one day but, for now, I’m needed at home in the evenings.

What do/did you do for your day job?and/or what were you educated/trained to do as a profession?

I’m a musician. I’m lucky enough to have had opportunities to perform around the globe, but also to explore other areas of the profession such as arranging, transcribing, recording and teaching music. I’m currently teaching music to classes in state schools part-time - this suits my family life and is incredibly rewarding.

 


Professional shot, photo copyright of Libby Gwyther


Do you have any tips for someone wishing to start dance training as an adult?

Listen to your body; free yourself from negative thoughts; and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

 

I used to assist on the Ballet4Life beginner ballet courses and remember so many nervous faces arriving the first week - for some, it had taken years to work up the courage to take a class. However, with the very well designed course and fantastic teachers, nerves soon gave way to enjoyment.

 

Ballet4Life Beginner Ballet Course

Do you have a favourite part of class/ ballet step you love?

I have always loved the grand allegros, so much so that I used to join in with the boys part of class as a child! My body is not quite as willing these days though! In recent years I have also enjoyed the feeling of strength that comes from the adagio sequences.

 


How has Covid-19 changed the way you have dance in your life?

When the first lock down came, I was very keen to keep my fitness levels, not least because I was pregnant. Having assisted with and attended classes right up until the end of my first pregnancy, I knew that it would be good for me to continue dancing as much as possible. One day, I spotted my daughter (nearing 2 years at the time) lifting her leg as if in an arabesque, so decided we would do a few simple moves together at home whenever we could! This became even more fun when the new baby arrived and I would do this whilst holding (and usually feeding) him too!

 

Anything else you would like to add, please feel free to do so.

Huge thank you to Donna and her team for bringing joy to so many!

 

 All images unless noted otherwise are copyright of Ballet4life and may not be reproduced without permission. Copyright 2021.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e