Skip to main content


Ballet4Lifer of the Month- April 2021


No April's Fools here as I have the pleasure to announce this month's Ballet4Lifer, Jennifer! Jennifer has been with us for well over 11 years and has progressed from Beginner Ballet upwards. She has also enjoyed trying many different techniques, Masterclass, and Workshops along the way. Our Monday morning Gentle Yoga is now a firm favourite in her diary.

Both of her daughters started dancing with us 11 years ago as well, and one of the daughters, Sam, carried on devotedly with our Contemporary Dance Programme. It has been so lovely getting to know this wonderful family over the years. 

She is not only a mum, wife, and had a full career but now she is a Volunteer for RNLI and for Brentford Lock in her spare time ( not much of that!) 

Classes would not be the same online or offline without Jennifer's bright sunny smile, strength of character, positivity, and humour!


Thanks for participating in this and see you soon in the studio!




I came to Ballet late in life - 57 to be precise and 11 years along still loving it. The classes give me a structure to my week.

As a child I grew up in Fulham, no ballet lessons but where for some reason our primary school had a Maypole, so I learnt not only maypole dancing but also English and Scottish country dancing. I have to say I still love a good Folk/ Scottish/Barn dance given the opportunity. Music has always been a part of my life.

 


 

I started with Beginners classes at Ballet4Life at the end of 2009 with both my daughters. We were going through a difficult time caring for my husband at home and needed some time and space. It was something I had always wanted to do and thought I would give it a try. As it turned out this was ideal - the need to concentrate on co-ordinating arms and legs to music as well as learning new steps and movements was a great way to clear my head and gave me strength for the difficult couple of months ahead.

Apart from going to watch opera, theatre and classical ballets, I also enjoy the more modern or challenging dances. The Royal Ballet’s “Alice” and “Frankenstein” being particular favourites. Steven McCrae has to be one of the best dancers.

Jennifer with fellow dancer Janet, and teacher Alina after an annual Fundraiser Showcase

 

Covid and lockdown has changed the way we all engage with each other, so a big Thank You to Donna and her team for keeping me sane and mobile. The range of classes on offer has been amazing, a chance to try new things. Sometimes it has been difficult to get motivated to sign in, but always worth the effort. The Monday morning Yoga with Chihiro is a great way to start the week and incorporate into a daily routine.

 


Jennifer in various Ballet4Life classes

 

On a Ballet4Life outing to visit with  teacher Rebecca

I would say that you are never too old to start something new. A chance to feel better about yourself, put any doubts about age, size, shape, ability to one side. No-one is judging you, it’s not a competition.

 

The Joy of Movement!


First image is property of Jennifer. All other images copyright of Ballet4life.com and may not be reproduced without permission. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 VeRNaL eQuiNoX -  nearlY   18 March, 2024 Dear All, I just wanted to day hello and to provide some news and comments before too long! I am trying this approach versus the Mailchimp newsletter to see which is easiest. Studio Swap   We had an interesting, enriching and exciting time with the Saturday studio swap for our Spring Term! We hope you enjoyed the experience. We are now reverting to our previous set up for Summer Term which means the following: Beatrice classes return to St. Peter's Hall Int/Adv Ballet- 10.30am - 12pm Pointe Exercise 12.05- 12.20pm General Level Contemporary Dance- 12.30- 1.30pm Move into Wellbeing 1.45- 3pm Down the road at Arts Ed, Studio 210 Beginner Follow-on Ballet 10-11am Beginner Improvers Ballet 11.05- 12.15pm Tasters in Beginner Jazz Dance, Contemporary Dance, and Beginner Ballet 12.15 - 1.15pm Short Beginner Ballet Course - 12.15 -1.15pm  Johanna Von Salmuth will lead these on a rota with our newest teacher Shiri Hadad joining the roster! We give
   Because you asked for this! LOL! Donna Schoenherr - Founder of www.ballet4life.com® and of charity Move into Wellbeing®   Happy March 2021 all! The days are getting longer and Spring is not far off! Here we are nearly one year since the whole COVID-19 Pandemic hit our lives in London and also changed the world. This selfie below, I took the last day of our in-person classes on 19 March, 2020. I will never forget that day.    This past year, many of you have asked me to share more details about my life and my career. I am not someone who likes to blow one’s own horn , so I thought best to share a long version of my biography created for me but with my own satirical quips interspersed, and then just be open to conversations. I finally found and edited the long version of my CV/Biography. If you fancy a read (and maybe a giggle or two) please sit back with a cuppa or a glass of vino and enjoy. None of the names or facts have been changed and the crazy journey I retell is tr
END OF YEAR REFLECTIONs from Donna    Hi everyone, Remember me? With my Christmas stocking I know it has been so very long time since a new Ballet4Life Talks Dance blog was created. Apologies if you felt abandoned- you were not! This silence was not due to a cautionary forecast of fading trends nor wondering if people read anymore, but simply due to life's fullness and waves of electric synergy and movements.   "Company Warm-up" at Watermans Art Centre with Beatrice Ghezzi- May 2023 Ballet4life is nearing its 20th Anniversary, this milestone, which I am deeply proud of, also comes with a certain amount of reflection, reviewing, with long- and short-term projection & planning and wonderment and curiosity. When I think back on the now thousands of people I have had the privilege to meet, work with, teach, mentor, facilitate good quality dance training for, befriend, support, help on their career paths, help through grief/illness/loss, it is a bit mind blowing!?! I can e